Coronavirus and tech: Ongoing list of event cancellations, disruptions, product delays, and more
Source: Johns Hopkins
The coronavirus has unfold to 170 nations all over the world, and it exhibits no indicators of abating. The pandemic is proving significantly devastating in current weeks, with complete confirmed instances crossing 400,000 and fatalities of over 18,923 globally.
The virus has successfully shut down all sporting leagues all over the world, main gatherings together with tech occasions and music festivals, and closed down eating places and malls. It additionally put a serious dent within the airline business, and is inflicting panic-buying throughout the globe, resulting in extreme meals shortages.
The coronavirus has additionally had a huge effect on the tech business, affecting the worldwide provide chain and inflicting interminable product delays. Here’s the newest on the coronavirus and the way it’s affecting the tech business.
March 25, 2020: U.S. units up $2 trillion stimulus bundle, Tokyo Olympics postponed to 2021, 1.three billion individuals in India beneath lockdown
- Global COVID-19 instances have skyrocketed within the final two days, with over 40,000 new instances in simply the final 24 hours alone. Over 423,650 are actually affected by the virus, with 18,900 deaths.
- The White House and U.S. senators got here to an settlement over a $2 trillion stimulus plan designed to offer much-needed monetary help to companies and American households. This is the most important stimulus bundle in American historical past.
- It’s official: the Tokyo Olympics have been postponed as a result of of the pandemic. They will likely be held in 2021 as an alternative.
- The Indian authorities ordered a country-wide lockdown for 3 weeks, with the transfer affecting 1.three billion individuals. Social distancing is simply not potential in such a dense nation, so a lockdown is the one measure to forestall the unfold of the outbreak. But with three weeks in isolation and important utilities already operating low, it does not look good for the subcontinent.
- Warehouse staff in not less than six Amazon achievement facilities have examined optimistic for COVID-19: New York City; Shepherdsville, Kentucky.; Jacksonville, Florida.; Katy, Texas.; Brownstown, Michigan.; and Oklahoma City.
March 24, 2020: Amazon tackles value gouging, Verizon provides free information, and Big Tech turns to supercomputers
March 23, 2020: Coronavirus instances see meteoric rise over the weekend
- There was an enormous uptick within the quantity of coronavirus instances globally, with the virus now affecting 343,000 and claiming over 14,500 lives. Those numbers have doubled from only a week in the past, with the U.S. tally at over 35,000. New York City now accounts for five% of international instances, and the U.S. authorities is taking harsh measures to comprise the unfold.
- Google’s coronavirus web site is now dwell, and it provides helpful info on preventative measures and real-time metrics on the international degree.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook has introduced that the corporate will donate thousands and thousands of masks to healthcare professionals within the US and Europe.
- Best Buy is switching to curbside pickup for all orders because the retailer tries to comprise the unfold of the outbreak.
- After refusing to close its shops final week, GameCease has introduced that it will likely be closing its retail areas quickly.
- The CDC has launched a brand new self-checker bot to permit individuals to make healthcare selections in the event that they assume they’ve coronavirus signs.
- Non-essential Amazon orders in March will slip into late April and early May as the corporate prioritizes home items.
- T-Mobile is providing customers two months of YouTube Premium for subscribers to reward customers for staying in through the quarantine. The firm will even offer customers a four-week subscription at Shaw Academy.
March 20, 2020: Netflix and YouTube cut back video high quality in Europe, Amazon shuts down Prime Pantry
- At the EU’s urging, Netflix has decreased its streaming video high quality within the area. With everybody self-isolating and working from dwelling, ISPs are beneath lots of pressure. Netflix has introduced that it’ll cut back the bitrate for 30 days, with the service noting that it ought to unlock 25% more visitors.
- YouTube has additionally talked about that it’ll cut back video high quality in Europe to unlock bandwidth. At this level, the restriction is just for the area and does not have an effect on the U.S.
- The FCC has signed off on U.S. carriers utilizing further spectrum within the 600MHz channel for the following 60 days. The transfer is feasible by leveraging unused spectrum from the likes of Dish, Comcast, NewStage, and others.
- Amazon is shutting down Prime Pantry in the meanwhile because the retailer offers with “high order volumes” as a result of of the coronavirus outbreak.
- Google I/O 2020 is formally no more. Google had deliberate to host a livestream in place of a bodily event, however even that has been axed.
- Now an info hotspot, Twitter is specializing in verifying person accounts which can be offering credible updates across the pandemic. The firm has directed consultants to replace their bio with related info and hyperlink their accounts to the e-mail deal with of their related public establishments.
March 19, 2020: U.S. authorities plans $500 billion in direct checks, Amazon shuts down NY warehouse, Google pauses Chrome OS growth
March 18, 2020: U.S. authorities closes Canada border for non-essential journey
- The U.S. authorities is readying a huge $1 trillion stimulus, together with $250 billion in direct checks to Americans. A authorities plan to fight the coronavirus suggests the pandemic might final 18 months.
- The U.S. can be closing its border with Canada for non-essential journey, and whereas commerce is not going to be affected, it is clear that nations are locking down to forestall the unfold of the virus.
- Google was set to conduct an online-only model of its Cloud Next event, however the search big has talked about that it’s delaying the event indefinitely.
March 17, 2020: Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter, and Reddit are working collectively to battle coronavirus misinformation
- Major tech firms — together with the likes of Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit — are uniting to battle misinformation on the coronavirus. Google particularly has been very proactive in taking down coronavirus-related hoaxes and fraudulent posts, and the transfer additional strengthens collaboration between numerous platforms.
- Verily’s coronavirus testing website has hit full capability in only a day, and it’s no longer taking over any more customers. Google has additionally talked about that its informational website on the virus will likely be going dwell later this week.
- Mint Mobile is offering all prospects with limitless high-speed information between now and April 14. Furthermore, anybody that purchases high-speed information add-ons will likely be 100% reimbursed by the corporate.
- Uber is getting rid of its carpooling function within the U.S. and Canada because the ride-sharing service tries to curb the unfold of the coronavirus. Lyft can be quickly stopping its carpooling choice, however this extends to all markets that it is provided in.
March 16, 2020: Verily’s coronavirus screening web site goes dwell in San Francisco Bay Area, pretend texts, and Android malware
- Verily’s coronavirus testing web site is now dwell for residents of the San Francisco Bay Area. The transfer comes after the Trump administration inadvertently introduced that Google is constructing a nationwide testing website for COVID-19.
- Google was caught off-guard when Trump introduced the main points of the positioning and talked about that 1,700 engineers have been on the duty. Over the final two days the Google offered more perception into what’s truly happening. Verily — one other group beneath the Alphabet umbrella — is the one which’s constructing the coronavirus testing website, and for now it’s restricted to residents of the Bay Area.
- Google, for its half, is rolling out a web site that gives more info on the coronavirus by pulling in particulars from the likes of the CDC and WHO. The search big is already selling recommendation like “Do The Five”, which incorporates public pointers on easy methods to restrict the unfold of the virus.
- Today, the White House National Security Council tweeted the textual content circulating concerning the president declaring a two-week nationwide quarantine is pretend. Instead, the WHNSC advises individuals comply with the CDC for the newest info relating to the novel coronavirus.
- Security researchers DomainTools found there’s a ransomware app for Android disguised as a coronavirus tracker. The app will lock your system with a password threatening to erase every thing and leak your social media accounts on-line for those who do not pay the ransom. The CovidLock app ought to solely have an effect on telephones operating older variations of Android as a result of Google has added protections in opposition to the flaw beginning with Nougat. If you get locked out by the ransomware, utilizing the password “4865083501” with out the quotes ought to get you again into your telephone.
March 13, 2020: Amazon asks all staff to work at home, Microsoft Build goes on-line, and sports activities leagues shut down
- Microsoft’s annual developer event will now be held on-line. Microsoft Build was scheduled to happen in Seattle, however with the town changing into a hotbed for the virus, Microsoft is placing the protection of the neighborhood first.
- Amazon is asking over 750,000 staff all over the world to work at home. The transfer does not goal its fulfilment division, and the retailer arrange a $25 million fund to fulfill the wants of its fulfilment employees.
- NCAA cancels March Madness over coronavirus fears. NHL adopted swimsuit, and MLB will delay Opening Day by not less than two weeks. The PGA Tour has additionally been referred to as off.
- Formula 1 and the FIA have determined to pull out of the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne over coronavirus fears. The sporting physique waited till the final minute to decide, whilst a crew member from McLaren was examined optimistic, main the crew to withdraw from the event. The Bahrain Grand Prix will go alongside as deliberate, however will likely be held with none followers in attendance.
- IPVanish has launched a promotion on its VPN service providing 63% off for three months plus 250GB of free SugarSync cloud storage. This might come in useful for streaming media from different areas to remain entertained at dwelling and for file sharing for those who now need to work remotely.
- Google warns that prospects needing to entry help might have longer wait occasions as a result of “operating with a limited team.” This applies to platforms like Pixel and Pixelbook, in addition to software program like Google Drive.
- Google and the U.S. authorities are collaborating on a brand new coronavirus screening website. President Donald Trump says Google has “1, 700 engineers” engaged on it.
March 12, 2020: Twitter asks staff to work at home, U.S. bans journey from Europe as coronavirus turns into a pandemic
- Twitter has ordered all staff globally to work at home to forestall the unfold of the coronavirus.
- In an unprecedented transfer, the U.S. has banned journey from most European nations for 30 days. 26 nations are affected, together with Germany, France, Belgium, Finland, and Denmark.
- The NBA has shut down the 2020 season till additional discover after a participant has examined optimistic for COVID-19.
- The World Health Organization declared the novel coronavirus a world pandemic, with the group urging nations to work collectively to comprise its unfold. This is the primary coronavirus to be dubbed a pandemic, and with the virus already claiming over four,500 lives, it’s deadlier than SARS.
- Samsung is now providing free cleansing companies for Galaxy telephones, the Galaxy Watch and Galaxy Buds. It’ll use UV-C mild which kills viruses, micro organism, and miscellaneous germs and is much less abrasive than wipes and different cleansing chemical substances.
March 11, 2020: E3 will not be going down this yr
- Owing to the “alarming levels of spread and severity” of the outbreak, the World Health Organisation has formally labeled COVID-19 as a pandemic.
- One of the gaming business’s largest occasions will not be going down this yr. E3 has been formally canceled over coronavirus fears, with the three-day event initially scheduled to happen from June 9 – 11. It’s an enormous blow to the gaming business, and it’s potential we’ll see manufacturers announce new video games in devoted digital occasions.
- Google is now recommending that every one of its North American employees work at home. The search big beforehand advised full-time employees in San Francisco, Dublin, and Seattle workplaces to work remotely, however that’s now being prolonged to cowl all of North America.
- The Mountain View big has now expanded that suggestion to incorporate all employees in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, as nicely.
March 10, 2020: U.S. inventory market plummets, China’s telephone phase sees an enormous 54.7% YoY decline
- Phone shipments in China have taken an enormous hit in February as a result of of the coronavirus outbreak. South China Morning Post notes that year-on-year figures have been down by a staggering 54.7%, with the likes of Huawei and Xiaomi considerably affected. Apple’s shipments have been additionally down by over 50% final month.
- Huawei will now unveil the P40 collection in an online-only event. The producer deliberate an event in Paris on March 26, however has switched to a digital event as a result of of the coronavirus.
- Major tech firms took an enormous hit because the inventory market witnessed its worst day because the 2008 meltdown. Alphabet, Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon cumulatively misplaced over $300 billion price of worth in at some point.
March 9, 2020: Tech firms advocate distant work as COVID-19 spreads within the U.S.
- The U.S. now has over 500 instances of COVID-19, with 21 confirmed deaths. Major tech firms — together with Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook — are encouraging their staff to work at home to restrict the unfold of the outbreak.
- Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, and Twitter have additionally dedicated to paying hourly wage staff through the outbreak. With these firms switching to distant work for full-time employees, hourly staff like safety guards and janitors will likely be paid in full even when they’re requested to remain dwelling.
- Stanford University, University of Washington, Seattle University and Northeastern University’s Seattle campus have all switched to online-only courses for the remaining of the semester.
- Xiaomi has donated 1000’s of masks to the Italian authorities in a present of solidarity. The tech agency included a quote from Roman Philosopher Seneca to drive the sentiment dwelling: “We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.”
Get real-time international information on COVID-19
Source: Johns Hopkins
The finest useful resource for real-time info on COVID-19 an infection charges globally is the dashboard maintained by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins. It supplies a real-time view of the virus’ unfold across the globe, and has a country-wise breakdown of an infection charges and complete deaths/recoveries.
You additionally get a city-wise breakdown of COVID-19 instances within the U.S., Canada, and Australia. The dashboard plugs into a number of information sources, together with the World Health Organisation, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, China’s National Health Commission, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and native authorities information. You may head to the WHO and CDC to know more concerning the virus and how one can keep protected:
List of cancellations/online-only occasions as a result of of COVID-19
COVID-19 has induced a number of cancellations, together with Mobile World Congress, the most important mobile-related event on this planet. With the rising threat of an infection and restrictions on international journey, most manufacturers are rescheduling, canceling, or switching to digital occasions to restrict the unfold of the coronavirus.
- E3 2020 (June 9 – 11): The annual Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) has been canceled over coronavirus fears. The event was scheduled to happen in LA, and with the town in a state of emergency, the organizers of E3 determined to cancel the three-day event. This is the primary time since 1996 the event will not happen.
- Coachella (April 10 – 19): Coachella has been postponed till October. The music event will now run from October 9 to 18 as an alternative of April 10 – 19.
- SXSW 2020 (March 13 – 22):: SXSW 2020 has been canceled per week earlier than its scheduled begin. This is the primary time the event has been canceled, and its destiny was sealed when tech firms — together with Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Facebook, and Intel — pulled out together with main file labels.
- Game Developers Conference (GDC): Originally scheduled to run from March 16 to 20, the event has been postponed to a date later in the summertime. We do not have particulars on dates simply but, however will replace as soon as we hear more.
- Mobile World Congress (February 24 – 27): The largest mobile-related event of the yr was one of the primary to be canceled as a result of of the coronavirus outbreak. With main manufacturers like Intel, LG, Ericsson, Vivo, and others pulling out, GSMA needed to pull the plug on this yr’s installment of MWC.
Lots of tech occasions are nonetheless happening as deliberate, however will now be held on-line to forestall the unfold of the coronavirus. That contains Google’s annual I/O, the place the tech big normally showcases its newest software program efforts. These are the occasions that can now be carried out over the web:
- Google Cloud Next (April 6 – eight): Google is now delaying its Cloud Next event indefinitely as a result of of the coronavirus pandemic. The search big initially deliberate on a “free, global, digital-first, multi-day event” with a whole lot of periods set to broadcast digitally, however that will not be the case.
- Microsoft Build (May 19 – 21): Micorosoft’s largest annual event will now be held on-line. The event was slated to be held in Seattle, however with the coronavirus posing a major risk to the town and Washington state, Microsoft has switched to a digital event.
- Huawei P40 unveil (March 26): Huawei initially deliberate to unveil the P40 and P40 Pro at an event in Paris on March 26, however the Chinese producer has now switched to an online-only event.
- Microsoft MVP Global Summit (March 16 – 19): Microsoft’s yearly summit provides the corporate’s MVPs the flexibility to attach and participate in technical discussions at Microsoft’s Redmond campus. This yr’s event will likely be virtual-only, with Microsoft noting that it’s working to arrange a “globally inclusive set of virtual sessions” to accommodate completely different time zones.
- NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference (GTC): NVIDIA is all set to serve up particulars on its next-gen video playing cards, so there’s lots of pleasure round GTC 2020. NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang’s keynote and all of the periods from the event will now be broadcast on-line, with the event set to kick off on March 26.
- Adobe Summit: Every yr, Adobe brings its prospects and companions to Las Vegas and shares insights on its newest merchandise. This yr’s installment of Adobe Summit will likely be held on-line, with Adobe set to kick issues off on March 29.
- Facebook F8 (May 5 – 6): Facebook pulled the plug on its annual developer event, and the corporate says it can as an alternative depend on a mixture of “locally hosted events, videos and live streamed content.” More particulars will likely be forthcoming main as much as the event date.
- Google I/O (May 12 – 14): Google’s annual I/O event is the place the search big exhibits off its newest developments. This yr’s event has been pushed on-line, and anybody that has bought a ticket will get a full refund and an computerized entry into I/O 2021. Google says it can “explore other ways to evolve Google I/O to best connect with our developer community” over the approaching weeks.
Other main occasions like Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference, Computex, and Gamescom are nonetheless scheduled for now, however we should wait and see if that modifications within the coming weeks. E3 particularly could also be affected as Los Angeles is presently in a state of emergency.
Product delays because of the coronavirus
The coronavirus successfully shut down China’s manufacturing business for a number of weeks, and that can have long-term results for tech manufacturers. It’s enterprise as standard for the business for now as most producers stockpile merchandise months prematurely, however we’re already seeing the likes of Apple and Microsoft slashing their earnings forecast for Q1 2020.
The actual impact of the coronavirus will likely be felt within the coming weeks as parts run into shortages. Although firms like Samsung do not depend on China for manufacturing anymore, the person parts that go into your telephone are nonetheless manufactured predominantly within the nation. We’ll be monitoring the state of affairs carefully, however for now there haven’t been any main product delays as a result of of the virus.
COVID-19’s impact on the tech business
We might earn a fee for purchases utilizing our hyperlinks. Learn more.
(operate(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.7”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));
var fbAsyncInitOrg = window.fbAsyncInit;
window.fbAsyncInit = operate() ;