Linux Today – Linux 5.5 Released!
Jan 26, 2020, 18:00 (zero Talkback[s])
(Other tales by Linus Torvalds)
So this final week was fairly quiet, and whereas we had a late community
replace with some (primarily iwl wi-fi) community driver and netfilter
module loading fixes, David did not assume that warranted one other -rc.
And outdoors of that, it is actually been very quiet certainly - there is a
panfrost driver replace too, however once more it did not actually appear to make
sense to delay the ultimate launch by one other week.
Outside of these, it is all actually tiny, even when a few of these tiny
modifications touched some core information.
So regardless of the slight fear that the vacations may need affected the
schedule, 5.5 ended up with the common rc cadence and is out now.
That implies that the merge window for five.6 will open tomorrow, and I
have already got a few pull requests pending. The timing for this
subsequent merge window is not optimum for me - I've some journey and different
issues happening throughout the identical two weeks, however hopefully it will not be
all that noticeable. But there could be random timezones, odd hours,
and random delays due to that. I attempt to keep away from scheduling issues
throughout the merge window, however hey, it would not all the time work out, and I might
need to delay issues by two weeks to keep away from the conflicts, which simply
would not appear price it.
Particularly since it is not essentially going to be an issue to start
with. We'll see.
Anyway. Go out and check 5.5, and begin sending me these pull requests
for all the brand new growth that's prepared,
- Linux 5.5 rc1(Dec 09, 2019)
- Linux 5.5 rc2(Dec 16, 2019)
- Linux 5.5 rc3(Dec 23, 2019)
- Linux 5.5 rc4(Dec 30, 2019)
- Linux 5.5 rc5(Jan 06, 2020)
- Linux 5.5 rc6(Jan 13, 2020)
- Linux 5.5 rc7(Jan 20, 2020)
- Linux 5.5 Released!(Jan 27, 2020)
- Linux 5.5 Seeing Some Wild Swings In Performance – Improvements But Also Regressions(Dec 02, 2019)
- Linux 5.5 Livepatching Tracks The System State For Better Patch Handling/Compatibility(Dec 04, 2019)
- Linux 5.5 Bringing A New System76 ACPI Driver For Their Coreboot-Enabled Laptops(Oct 28, 2019)
- Linux 5.5 Kernel Livepatching To Allow Tracking System State(Nov 05, 2019)